HEMATITE METHODIST CHURCH
Trigg County, KY
 

Hematite Methodist Church
"The Church in the Wildwood"
 

Hematite - The church in the Wildwood - Organized in 1888, the Hematite congregation worshiped in the school house for some years.  Their first pastor was Rev. Ollie J. Bennett; presiding Elder, Rev. B. F. Orr.  The sanctuary, situated in Kentucky Woodlands Wildlife Refuge, was dedicated August 6, 1917, Rev. R. C. Bogard, pastor.  With the dissolution of this "Church in the Wildwood," due to the formation of Lake Barkley, Hematite shall have written a proud page in the history of Methodism in Trigg County.
The schoolhouse where the church was first organized, in 1888, must have been the old Hematite School (originally called Empire School) -- not the latest one.  It was located near the entrance to Empire Farm on what now is called the Mulberry Flat Road going toward the Silo Overlook.  It was on a hill across the Mulberry Flat Road from the next right-hand entrance road which leads to where the original headquarters of the old Hillman Land Company was located.  It was near and old black people's cemetery.  Dora (Sherbut) Buck, born in 1887, attended this old one room grade school.
 
 


©BETWEEN THE RIVERS