GOLDEN POND BAPTIST CHURCH
Trigg County, KY
The church was organized in 1908 and met for many years in a tobacco warehouse owned by W. R. Wilson. The first permanent building was completed in 1913 near the Tennessee House Hotel. The building was destroyed by fire, along with most other buildings in town, on August 1, 1936. The members decided not to rebuild on the old site but to built instead on land donated by Charles Wilson. The first service in the new building was held in 1940.
The years of Golden Pond Baptist Church were productive ones. Many people were baptized and many members affiliated by letter. In 1956, a complete remodeling was done to the church building and a full time preacher, Brother Randolph Allen was called in 1957. The Golden Pond Baptist Church family was a very close knit group and easily agreed on matters pertaining to the church.
On September 30, 968, the last service was held at the church. TVA purchased the lot and the final distribution of the money...(was distributed to other churches in the county, along with some children's homes, hospitals, schools and mission.)
There is no longer a Golden Pond Baptist Church; but the memory of it is not forgotten. One fine lady, who lives in Cadiz, Mrs. W. T. Gordon, symbolizes in the following poem, her work in the church as the president of the Women's Missionary Union:
"We toil as comrades in the night.
As laborers in the sun,
Grant us the shining of Thy light,
Until the task is done."
- Echoes II
September 6, 1968
©BETWEEN THE RIVERS