LAURA FURNACE, KY
Trigg County
 

Laura Furnace was built in 1855 about two miles west of Cumberland River.  It was built by Gentry, Gunn & Co., of Tennessee, composed of the late Col. J. F. Gentry and Mr. Simpson Gunn, an uncle of Tom Gunn of Cadiz.  The company  invested in it a capital of about $40,000.  They gave employment to 120 or 180 men, and carried on a very successful business for three years.

The furnace was then purchased by George P. Wilcox, who operated it until 1860-61. The civil war seriously interfered with the iron interests of this region, due to the fact that most of the laborers went into the army, on one side or the other, and for several years Laura Furnace remained idle, to the great loss of the proprietors, who were thus financially ruined.
It has been operated only at intervals since 1865.

In 1871, Pringle & Co., of Pittsburgh, bought it and tried to operate it, but did no good.  Whitlock, McNichols & Co. leased it for a short time a year or two later, but did not make the business lucrative. The property is now owned by C. Beninger, of Pittsburgh, who never operated it.
 
 

Map shows only Trigg County portion of Land Between The Lakes

Map shows only Trigg County portion of Land Between The Lakes
 



©BETWEEN THE RIVERS