With a brief history of other Stewart County Schools.
Stewart Co., TN
Model School was located in civil district #8 and school district # 28. Prior to 1907, it was known as Western Furnace School. The building was probably of frame construction and built in 1888. The following is the deed:
This indenture made this 4th day of August, 1888 between Jinkins Futrell and his wife, and Edmund Futrell of the first part and T. G. Askew, T. J. Crook, and Nolin P. Boyle, directors of school district # 28, in Stewart County Tennessee of the second part.
Witnesseth that the parties of the first part in consideration of the land being used for building a school house on for said district do hereby convey to the parties of the second part, and thier successors, a certain tract of land lying in district #8, bounded as follows:
Beginning at Jinkins Futrell's northwest corner, thence east, thence south, thence west, thence north to the beginning containing one acre more or less. To have and to hold unto the parties of the second part and their successors forever with a general warantee.
Witness our hands, the day and date first above.
There could have been a school in operatin in the Model Community before 1888. By 1870, there were many schools in the county, but often held in the churches. By 1880, the county began to recover from the Civil War and imposed a school tax to help build and support the schools.
The County was broken up into 58 school districts and three directors were chosen to see to the needs of the school. Several schools in the county were built over the next few years.
Records of 1901 states that Model School was valued at $75.00 with $10.00 worth of furniture and supplies. It reported that the student population was 60 males and 53 females, however the school maintained an average daily attendance of only 23. New desks were purchased for the school in 1903.
Reports from the 1933 record book states Model School being erected between 1910 and 1920. This structure probably replaced the one built in 1888. The report said it was of frame construction and contained 20 double desks. It was probably built around 1914 to be used for both high school and grade school. By early 1930's, this large, two-story building was replaced with a smaller building with two rooms.
From the minutes of the county board of education is a list of teachers from 1907 and covering most years. The following is a list of Model teachers to 1950.
Miss Maude Rowlett 1907 W. J. Bennett 1908 Ester Williams 1909-1910 Lena Parker 1911-1912 R. E. Gorham; Masella Hicks 1914 *Note: R. E. Gorham
was high school
R. E. Gorham 1915 R. E. Gorham, Ira Moore, Ocie Dilday 1916 Franklin Crutcher, Marie Hutchinson 1920 William Robertson, Cozie Futrell 1921 Theodora Allen 1925 Helen Brandon 1926 Henrietta Cathey 1927 Vera Wallace 1928 Christine Spiceland 1929 Ruby Dilday 1930 & 1931 Christine Griffin 1938 Bernice Thomas 1939 Mrs. Elenor Brandon 1940 Mrs. Elenor Brandon, Prin.; Ida Loren Vinson 1941 & 1942 Mrs. Elenor Brandon, Prin; Helen Ruth Lancaster 1943 Mrs. Christine Whitford 1944 Clyde Spiceland and Christine Whitford 1945 Dorothy Hutchinson and E. Feltner 1947 Henry _____, Prin.; Velma Crutcher 1948 Laverne Lynn, Prin.; Velma Crutcher 1949 C. E. Greenup, Prin.; Dorothy Hutchison 1950
In 1891, the general assembly passed legislation for the communities to provide for secondary, or high school education. In 1909, state aid was given for this purpose. In 1914, a two-year high school was organized at Model. Dover had one three years later. Model's was in existance for only a short while.
The Stewart County Board of Education was organized in 1907. This body governed the school system in the county. There were 52 white school and 14 colored schools at that date. The white schools were to run 6 months a year and the colored schools were to run 5 months.
Between 1930 and 1935, school buses began transporting pupils to and from school. These were privately owned and were usually a truck cab with a bed shelter and seats built beside the cab.
Many changes occured in the early years of the forties. The average daily attendance had to be 20 pupils per school and the school would be discontinued if it fell below this number. In some cases, the school would be declared isolated and be allowed to continue for a while longer. Many of the community schools began dropping below the average daily attendance needed to maintain a school and were always threatened with closure or consolidation.
Many small schools closed to low attendance and aquisition of land by the government. In 1940, Tip Top school burned and the school consolidated with Fairview. In August, 1941, the government signed the deed transferring to the U. S. Government (T.V.A), Rushing Creek, Fort Henry, Mint Springs, and Gray Schools, and in February of the following year, T.V.A. purchased the school property of Blue Springs, St. John and Midway. Vinson School was discontinued previous to this and consolidated with Model in 1939 or 1940.
Many people living along the Tennesse River were relocated and in some cases so were the schools, as Fort Henry and St. John, which continued to operate for several years afterward. Other schools in the area during the 50's were Tharpe, Fairview, Hutchinson, Poplar Springs, and Model.
But the hands of time did not stop moving in the land between the rivers because eventually some of these schools cease to operate, and fate struck a final blow when TVA once again purchased the land in the area for the developement of LBL. In the Fall of 1966, Model, the last remaining school in this large area of the county, was closed and its school put up for sale.
©BETWEEN THE RIVERS