Azlean Gentry, 96, of Grand Rivers died at 6:14 a.m. Thursday, June 26, 2003 at Oakview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Calvert City.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Filbeck-Cann & King Funeral Home in Benton with the Revs. David Gentry and Mark Gill officiating. Burial will be in Paradise Cemetery in the Land Between the Lakes.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Dillard Gentry, and three sons, William Gentry, Glen Gentry and Edward Gentry. Her parents were William Terry Pinnegar and Eliza Allen Pinnegar.

Surviving are one daughter, Mary Fulks of Grand Rivers; two sons, Haze Gentry and Garland Gentry, both of Lake City; 22 grandchildren; 34 great-grandchildren; and seven great-great-grandchildren.

In Remembrance of Dear Father
Mr. William Gillahan died April 24, age 85 years 10 months and 22 days. He was the father of 16 children; 10 are living; had 49 grand-children: 40 living; 17 great-grandchildren; 11 are living. He was twice married. His first marriage was to a Miss Elia Ferguson. They were blessed with eight children - 5 boys and 3 girls. His second marriage was a Miss Margaret A. Chat. Eight children blessed their union  - 5 boys and 3 girls.
  He died at his home near Energy, where he had lived for 44 years. He leaves a wife and 2 children at home- one son and youngest daughter. He had never joined any church, but prayed so much while on his death bed and said he would be saved and that God has taken him home to rest to dwell with the angels of bless. We can't be with papa her any more, but hope will meet on the happy golden shore.
His daughter,  Ellen


Trigg County, August 6, 1920
W.J. Gordon Dead Near Golden Pond; Father of Jesse C.Gordon and One of County's Best Citizens
Mr. W. J. Gordon, father of Jesse C. Gordon, of Cadiz, and one of the county's best citizens, died last Friday at his home near Golden Pond. He had been in poor health for several months, and his condition had been serious for several days. Mr. Gordon was a son of the late W. G. Gordon, and was born in Trigg county, where he had always lived, fifty-eight years ago. He had been married just forty years and one day, and the wife, formerly, Miss
Mattie Wallace, daughter of the late Green T. Wallace, survives him. He is also survived by six children, as follows: Mrs. Tom Crisp, of Canton; Mrs. P. D. Williams, Mrs. W. T. Gordon and Miss Myra May Gordon,
of Golden Pond; Claude Gordon, of Barlow, Ky., and Jesse C. Gordon, of Cadiz .

Mr. Gordon had been a member of the Baptist church, united when a young man, and his life had always been that of a good consecrated Christian gentleman. He was a good neighbor, a devoted husband and father and a
citizen that the county couldn't afford to lose.

Burial took place Saturday afternoon at Woodville, brief funeral services being held at the grave. A large crowd of friends and sorrowing loved ones were present as a tribute of respect to a good man and a splendid citizen.


Judge Grace Dead
Expires Suddenly of Apoplexy at Frankfort
Will be Buried at Cadiz
No Details Received Yet
Brief Sketch of His Life

The startling news was received yesterday that Judge John R. Grace, of the Court of Appeals, had dropped dead, or died very suddenly at Frnkfort.

Judge Grace was prostrated with an attack of apoplexy about two weeks ago, but rallied and soon after was able to resume his seat on the bench.  The second attack proved too much for even his strong constitution and the greatest jurist West Kentucky has produced in a generation has passed away.

Judge Grace was 62 years of age, and a magnificent specimen of matured manhood.  For years he had been upon the bench.  He began his judicial career as County Judge of Trigg county and in 1868 was nominated as Circuit Judge at Princeton, Ky which position he filled for 26 years.  In 1894, he with several other able judges, was candidate  for Appellate Judge to succeed Judge Quigley, and in a long and fiercely fought contest in convention at Princeton won the nomination by one vote.  He was elected for a term of eight years and entered upon his duties January 1, 1896.  His sudden death in the prime of life is a calamity to the whole state.  He had already come to be regarding as the ablest lawyer on the Bench, with the single exception of Judge Pryor.  Had he lived to finish this term he would have been Chief Justice and one of the greatest the state ever had.  The arangements for the funeral have not been completed.

The remains will be brought through this city and the body taken to Cadiz, for interment, probably today.

The question of a successor to Judge Grace will at once become a burning issue in politics.  Gov. Bradley will appoint a man to serve until an election can be held in November.  The district is strongly and safely Democratic and a Democrat will be elected in November to serve for six years.

Laid To Rest
Remains of Trigg County's Greatest Jurist Buried At Cadiz

The Kentuckian gave an account of the sudden death of Judge John R. Grace at Frankfort Thursday morning. The body left Frankfort Thursday night and arrived at Cadiz vis. Princeton and Gracey Friday afternoon. It was accompanied by Judges Hazelrigg, Paynter, and DuRelle, of Court of Appeals; Judge Fenton Sims and Mr. G.P. Thomas, respectively Senator and Representative from Trigg county, Messrs. Ed Hines and Turner, who are employed in the Court of Appeals office were also in the party. A committee of citizens of Trigg county, consisting of Judge G.B. Bingham, H.B McKinney, John J. Garton, John C. Dabney and others were appointed to meet the remains of Judge Grace at Gracey and the honorable gentleman attending them and conduct them to Cadiz. A bar committee consisting of Denny P. Smith, C.D. McKinney, Max M. Hanbery, John D. Shaw and others was appointed to take charge of the remains and make preparations to bury them.

Funeral services were held at the city court room at 10 o'clock Saturday morning, conducted by Rev. P.T. Hardison, of Cadiz and Dr. H.C. Settle, of Hopkinsville.

John R. Grace was the only son by the first marriage of William D. Grace and Mary Grace, formerly of Oregon. He was born and reared in that part of Trigg county which lies between the Cumberland Tennessee rivers, about May 27th, 1834, and worked on a farm until he was nearly grown. He then worked in a saw mill, and at night studied law without a preceptor. In the winters of 1854 and 1855 he went to the Louisville Law School, which he attended one year, graduated and returned to Cadiz, the county seat of Trigg , and commenced the practice of law. In a short time he was at the head of his profession, coming in contact at the bar with such men as Mathew Mayes, Cllins D. bradley, Henry C. Burnett and Lafayette Henry. In August, 1858, he was elected County Judge, defeating his opponent, Hon. J.C. Thompson, by a handsome majority. AT the time he made the race, Judge Thompson who had filled the office of Circuit and County Clerk for many years, and had repreented Trigg in the Legislature of Kentucky, was regarded as the most popular man in the county. The position he resigned at the breaking out of the war. During the war he formed a partnership with Mathew Mayes, the oldest and ablest lawyer in Western Kentucky, which partnership continued until the close of the war, when Major Mayes retired From practice. He then formed a partnership with Henry C. Burnett, who represented the First district of Kentucky in Congress until the battle of Bull Run, and was then elected to the Confederate State Senate. His next public position was that of Circuit Judge in the Second judicial district of Kentucky, going upon the bench in 1868. Was elected by the people of that district on five occasions. From this position while on the bench he was called to a seat in the Appellate Court, and after about a year's service was called to attend the grand assize. His neighbors in Trigg, his relative, the people everywhere he was known, will mourn his untimely death. They looked forward to the time when he would write his name as one among the grandest and greatest jurist of Kentucky. Large in frame, towering above his fellows physically and intellectually, it will be long before his place can be filled. He was never defeated for office save once, when Hon. Oscar Turner beat him for Congress.

In his early manhood he wooed and wedded Miss Emily Terry, an elegant and accomplished lady, daughter of Abner B. Terry, at one time a prominent merchant at Cadiz. One year of happiness after his marriage passed, and his wife left him for a better world. True to his first love he never married again. Although Judge Grace had a lucrative practice form the commencement of his practice until he went upon the bench he accumulated but little of the world's goods. As fast as his salary was drawn, with a liberality unequaled he dispensed it to those who were in need of his friendly aid. Judge Gracw was as tender as a woman, but he had the strength and courage of a lion. His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him that nature might stand up and way to all the world: "This is a man.,

"The Kentuckian Feb 1896

Eugene Franklin Gregory, 79, of 401 Brown Avenue, Belton, South Carolina, died Monday, Feb. 6, 2006, at his residence.  He was the son of Georgia Edna Lawrence Noles and the late Leland Gregory, both of whom lived originally in the Sardis community of Between the Rivers.

He married Mildred Imogene Bridges (27 Feb. 1926-5 May 1990).  They had four children:  Claudia Gregory (19 Apr 1949-23 Apr 23 1949);  Leland Michael Gregory (12 Sept. 1950); Leslie Alan Gregory (7 Feb 1955); and Eric Franklin Gregory (17 Nov. 1957).

The funeral will be held at Cox Funeral Home in Belton on Friday.
(Submitted By Carolyn Bonds)

Virginia Gregory, 71 GRAND RIVERS, Ky.

Services for Virginia R. Gregory, 71, of Grand Rivers, formerly of Between the Rivers, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Dunn's Funeral Home in Eddyville with the Rev. Louis Brinker officiating. Burial will be in Sardis Cemetery Between the Rivers.
Ms. Gregory died at 5:45 a.m. Thursday at her home.

She was a member of Friendship Baptist Church in Livingston County.

Surviving are one son, Dennis Heater of Benton; one daughter, Jerri Preston of Grand Rivers; two brothers, Robert Odom of Grand Rivers and LewisOdom of Las Vegas; one sister, Johnnie Riley of Benton; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her husband, J.W. Tidwell; one brother; and one sister. Her parents were Will and Daisy Strickland Odom.


The funeral Billy Joe Hooks was Monday at 2 p.m. in the chapel of Goodwin Funeral Home, Cadiz. The Rev. Jimmy Fuller officiated. Music was by Roy Marquess Jr., vocalist, and Martha Fortner, organist. Pallbearers were Jerry, Larry, William, Jeff, Jerry Jr. and Kyle Hooks. Burial was in the Bogard Cemetery in the Land Between the Lakes.
Mr. Hooks, 71, Princeton Road, Cadiz, died Friday, Dec. 31, 2004, at 3 p.m. at his home.

He had retired from Kentucky Highway Department and as maintenance foreman for Lake Barkley State Resort Park. A Kentucky Colonel, he was a member of Cadiz Lodge No. 121 of Free and Accepted Masons and of Ophelia Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Born Aug. 17, 1933, in Golden Pond, he was the son of the late Milton Hooks and Peachie Wallace Hooks. One daughter, Elizabeth Hooks, and two brothers, Wallace and Bub Hooks, all preceded him in death.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Virginia Oliver Hooks, to whom he had been married for 54 years; four sons, Jerry Hooks and wife, Tresa, Larry Hooks and wife, Sharon, William Hooks, and Jeff Hooks and wife, Kim, all of Cadiz; nine grandchildren, Marci, Jerry, Kelly, Dana, Casey, Kyle, Haley, Mason and Billy Hooks; three great-grandchildren, Eli Smith, Katlyn Hooks and J.R. Lynch; one cousin, Mrs. Evelyn Wilson Chilcutt, Murray.

From Murray Ledger and Times
Submitted By Craig Thweatt


Pat Hubbard, 61 KUTTAWA, Ky.
June 26, 2004
Services for Pat Hubbard, 61, of Kuttawa will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Dunn's Funeral Home in Eddyville with the Rev. Tim Franklin officiating. Burial will be in Newby Cemetery Between the Rivers.
Mrs. Hubbard died at 8 a.m. Tuesday in Natchez, Miss., as the result of a motorcycle accident.

She was employed by AmerisourceBergen in Paducah. She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and was of the Methodist faith.

Surviving are her husband, Richard Hubbard; a daughter, Tina L. Stephenson of Kuttawa; a son, Michael Hubbard of Covington, Tenn.; and two grandchildren, Ashley Stephenson and Whitney Stephenson.

Her parents were Vaughn and Mary Louise Briney McIntosh.

Hudson, Allie

Tuesday, December 12, 2006              Lyon County Herald

KUTTAWA, Ky. Allie Hudson, 100, of Kuttawa, formerly of the Between the Rivers area, died at 8:10 a.m. Monday at Rivers Bend Retirement Center.

Mrs. Hudson was a homemaker.

Surviving are three sons, Ted Hudson and Walter Hudson, both of Paducah, and Julian Hudson of Huntsville, Ala.; four daughters, Pat Freeman of Eddyville, Kay Holt of Boaz, Margaret Bridges of Benton and Jane Forsythe of Alton, Ill.; 17 grandchildren; and 27 great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Walter W. "Dot" Hudson, and four sisters. Her parents were John Hurley and Vallie Wren Hurley.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Lakeland Funeral Home with the Rev. Steve McVay officiating. Burial will be in Sardis Cemetery in Land Between the Lakes.

As the result of a boyish frolic with a gun they did not know was loaded.
Roy INGRAM was shot by his cousin, Twyman PUGH, near Cumberland Church on December 26th, and died on the 28th.

Young Ingram, in company with his mother, who is a sister of James PUGH, father of the boy who did the shooting, went to the Pugh home on a visit.

Monday afternoon Charley and Twyman PUGH and INGRAM starting hunting with a 23 rifle. They pranked with one another for awhile by snapping the gun which was not then loaded. They finally went into the hay loft, and about the time they were ready to proceed on their hunt, Charley Pugh loaded the gun, which the other boys did not know. Shortly after Twyman picked up the gun and pointed it at Charley, who realizing the danger rolled over in behind a pile of hay, and before he could tell his brother the gun was loaded, it have been snapped at Ingram, who was lying in the hay, with serious results. The ball struck him in the arm and went into the body. The boy lingered on till Wednesday, when he died, and the body was buried Thursday at the Blue Spring Burying ground.

Young Ingram was the son of the late "Max" INGRAM
and was almost 16 year of age. The boy who did the shooting was about twelve years old.
Cadiz Record - Jan 05, 1905

The angel of death, the dark winged merciless angel, has again visited our home and left us so sad and lonely. On the 26th day of this month, by a terrible and unexpected accident, our darling Roy, only son and brother, was cruelly snatched almost instantly from this world into another. Oh, it is terrible heart rending to have him snatched so suddenly from us so young. He was merging into manhood, and mother and I were looking forward to so much pleasure in the future life with him. But it is all done now. Little Roy, has gone and he was all we had, and the baby, Oh, it was so hard to come home without Roy and to know we could never hear his sweet voice say mama and sister no more. It seems almost unbearable to have to give him up in such a manner, in the bloom of health, and to see him have to suffer so much. But one great consolation to us in our lonely hours is the thought that God knows best. He was taken for some good purpose, we know not what. So letÕs try to make his will ours. Loyd Roy Ingram was the only living son of Mrs F.P. Ingram. He was 15 years and 5 months of age at the time of his death, December 28, 1904. He was a good, affectionate son and brother, and although he was not a member of any church, nor had every made any pentence, when the time came for him to go he told me with a pleasant look on his dear face that he was not afraid to die said that God had forgiven all and he felt that he would be better off dead when out of his sufferings. He was spending Xmas with his uncleÕs family, Mr James Pugh of between the rivers, he and his mother, and while playing with his two cousins and all good friends to each other, was accidentally shot by the younger of the two, They having loaded the gun -- a 22 rifle and forgotten it. The boy, who was about twelve years old picked up the gun and pointed it at his brother with the words ÒI am going to shoot you.Ó His brother thought of the gun being loaded and jumped aside, but before he could speak the younger boy had snapped the weapon and shot Roy, the ball going through his left wrist and penetrating his left side just below the heart. The ball was, never located, but seemed to range downward and the result was fatal. He lived about 49 hours. Oh, his sufferings were untold, but he bore it all so patient never murmuring once, said he blamed no one, he knew Twyman did not intend to shoot him and that it was all a terrible accident and cannot be helped. This is twice death has visited our home, but theis seems the most unbearable of all. Only two of us left now -- mother and I, and was it not for my kind and loving husband to comfort us in our loneliness, it seems that we could not bear it. But we must bear up and live for each other and be ready when the summons comes to meet dear Roy and the other dear ones that have gone before in a better world. May God help us all is my prayer. Darling boy, you have left us You are gone and we are sad Darling brother, how can I do without you? You was all the boy we had. Although your voice we cannot hear We feel that your loving presence hovers near. God bless you brother we will meet you Where the skies are ever clear

Mrs Mary Thomas Cadiz Record Jan 1905

Return to Obituary Index